Thursday, February 05, 2004

A Quick One

Who gets booted from SURVIVOR: ALL-STARS tonight? I'm sticking with two that I picked to go on the first show. As an inexplicable winner, Jenna M. seems to be prime to go. If she doesn't, farmer Tom gets an early exit.

Bernardo Bertolucci's THE DREAMERS lives up to its NC-17 rating, but I can't help but have the sneaking suspicion that the "explicit sexual content", of which the movie rating warns, is present for the sole purpose of stirring up publicity. I haven't seen the director's similarly controversial LAST TANGO IN PARIS, so I'm unable to compare. THE DREAMERS strikes me as formally accomplished film that, while captivating at times, doesn't have a lot going on in it. The fall of self-absorbed Sixties idealists is set against a more interesting story, that of the response provoked by the dismissal of Henri Langlois from the Cinematheque. Put me down for a mixed response on this one. More organized thoughts to come, hopefully.

While pulling some of my comments on the year's best and worst films for upcoming special editions of NOW PLAYING, I noticed I accidentally omitted SHATTERED GLASS from my honorable mentions. I'll fix that in the next day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment