Thursday, April 07, 2005

Top 25 Directors

Also in the latest issue of The Film Journal is a survey of the Top 25 Directors. It isn't a list of the "best" but a list of favorites for those who participated in the poll.

I submitted a ballot, but I wouldn't be surprised if I omitted some directors whose absence will cause me to kick myself for forgetting them. I took the survey as a fun exercise, not something to sweat over for hours. While I'm relatively literate in classic and foreign cinema, there are also many gaps in my knowledge that tilt these results toward newer and American filmmakers. If time permits, I'll provide some commentary on my picks at a later date.

Here's my list:

-Woody Allen
-Robert Altman
-Paul Thomas Anderson
-Wes Anderson
-Luis Buñuel
-Hirokazu Kore-eda
-Alfred Hitchcock
-Jim Jarmusch
-Krzysztof Kieslowski
-Stanley Kubrick
-Akira Kurosawa
-Sergio Leone
-Richard Linklater
-David O. Russell
-Martin Scorsese
-M. Night Shyamalan
-Steven Soderbergh
-Steven Spielberg
-Whit Stillman
-Jacques Tati
-Quentin Tarantino
-François Truffaut
-Lars von Trier
-Orson Welles
-Robert Zemeckis

No comments:

Post a Comment